Saturday, March 20, 2010

(Become A) Versatility Virtuoso

You may have heard some photographers stressing the importance of 'making photos' rather than 'taking photos.' In order to make it as a professional (nature) photographer, one has to be able to adapt to the situation that you're faced with and come home with good, salable images. Otherwise, it is highly likely that your client will not call on you again.
Although I love the serendipity of hiking along a mountain trail and coming upon an amazing subject to photograph, more and more, I find myself shooting with an agenda in mind. This morning was no exception: I needed to make photos of trout lilies for Meet Your Neighbours, for my catalog of wide angle macro photographs for an upcoming project and for my general stock collection to boot. To make things more tricky, each direction required a different style and approach.
With a little creativity and good planning a single location can yield a wide variety of completely different images that can be delivered to different customers and markets without conflict. All of the images included in this post were photographed in a single morning.

4 comments:

Rosa said...

Amazing macro photos !nice work.

clay bolt said...

Hi Rosa,

Thanks for visiting! Hope to hear from you again soon.

Clay

Anonymous said...

The spring ephemerals seem to be especially good subjects for wide angle macrophotography - it's unusual and refreshing to see them from a ground up perspective.

I'm seeing less potential for its use with insects, but if you have an idea let me know.

Vanja said...

Very betiful pictures my friend , nice story :)